Thursday, March 6, 2014

Visiting Kenya: Arrival in Nairobi and Visiting the University

I arrived a day early so I could visit the University of Nairobi, which has a Department of Development Communication, a concept originating with Nora Quebral at the University of the Philippines-Los Banos, where I taught on a Fulbright in 1983-1984  Recently, she received an honorary doctorate from the London School of Economics for her contributions, and I had corresponded by email with the head of the department in Nairobi.  He was most generous in showing me around and introducing me to faculty and administrators.  Also got involved in a planning meeting for a new master's degree in communication.

 
The day I arrived, the leading newspaper, The Daily Nation, published a list of the top 50 or so universities in Africa.  First was Cairo University, then seven universities in South Africa, and then the University of Nairobi, a very good showing for the institution. 

 
...love this sign.



 
lovely campus in downtown Nairobi


 
Wonder if we could use something similar to this for stupid administrative decisions.
 
 
Walking back to the hotel, came across this delightful sign and the market.
 
 
 



 
The old public market was full of activity even though it was later in the day.  Reminded me of the historic West Side Market in Cleveland, albeit on a smaller scale.


 
Next door was the handicrafts "market place." I later decided the giraffe was one of my favorite creatures---fascinating to watch them walk--and I would have loved to have one of the big carvings but don't know where I'd put it.
 
 
Stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel, with a balcony overlooking a park area.

 
Next day the "tour" began.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment