Thursday, January 5, 2017

Discovering Petra on a 2016 Trip Around the World: Places and Spaces

Discovering Petra

Like most folks, my image of Petra comes from the film, "Raiders of the Lost Ark," so I was surprised at the size, or length of the site.  I was familiar with the place called the Treasury, a misnomer because it had nothing to do with money, but I hadn't a clue about the street that followed that site, nor the open-air remnants of a city, nor the most impressive Monastery that was at the end of another long hike up stairs that went on forever.  But I made it and climbed on to the lookout, from which you could see Israel. At the end, after a four-hour hike, my legs were gone and I took the last few steps on a horse to the entrance and my guide.  Wish I had had a couple days here because it deserves a slower pace that I gave it. 

 


The narrow canyon changes colors with the time of day and sunlight. 













Before reaching the Treasury, there are caravan reliefs along the way.





Finally, we reach the Treasury, an area which also has a couple shops and rest area for drinks and food.










Next stop, the street of Facades.












A bathroom built into the rock next to the road.







This is where the climb to the monastery begins.















And we've arrived at the Monastery







The final climb was to a look out, where a fellow was playing a musical instrument (and selling souvenirs, of course) in a small shop. I sat down and listened and looked out for a view that is Israel in the distance.






 The monastery from the highest look out.


-----
Visiting Wadi Rum

We also visited Wadi Rum for a ride through the desert that was a fine photo opportunity.  We stopped at what's called Lawrence's Springs, named because some of the film "Lawrence of Arabia" was shot there. There are a couple stone reliefs near the site, and a reception "tent" where tea is served.  I've now been to two sites where that film (which celebrated its 50th anniversary not long ago) was shot, here and Morocco.









Demonstrating how to make soap from a plant.









This is a hiking area, but I rode in the four wheeler.












A Bedouin tent we passed enroute.


The town near the Petra site.



Looking toward Petra from my hotel room, day and night.  




-----

From Egypt to Jordan...Via Israel

I flew from Cairo to Sharm el-Sheikh, where I rode across the Sinai to the Israeli border, staying over night at a Sofitel resort on the water, from which you could see the lights of Saudi Arabia and Israel at night.  I was accompanied in the vehicle by a guide, the driver and an armed representative from the government since this is such a sensitive area.  I stayed at the resort one night before crossing the border at Taba and catching a taxi across Israel to the Jordanian border, where I was met by a representative of Memphis Tours to guide me through immigration and connect me with a driver to begin my visit in Jordan.  Upon returning from Petra, I followed the same route, sharing a taxi with a young fellow from Texas traveling as long as his money would allow after quitting a job in investment banking he was abandoning.  And I returned to the Sofitel resort for another night before returning to Cairo on the same route.  While there I went to a local venue with dancers, etc., very much a community affair.

















Entering Jordan.






No comments:

Post a Comment