Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Paper Making Links to Past and Present

This past weekend I took a two-day papermaking workshop at The Morgan, one of those marvelous institutions created when an ol' guy with great values left his fortune and an old factory building on E. 47th Street in Cleveland to celebrate book culture.  It was a wonderful, messy time working with cotton, hemp and flax pulp, the first in not ony white but blue, yellow, red and green. 

Ironically, this was not the first time I had tried to make paper.  When I was an undergraduate at the University of Idaho, I took a graphics course that included a small paper-making exercise (using toilet paper for pulp, if I recall correctly), type setting using a California job case (setting our business cards), and more. 

The Morgan also has the old job cases and printing set up that I encountered again last year on my return visit to the Philippines, where I visited the same plant where we printed the Special Gazette newspaper some 40+ years ago.

So experiences seem to tie different periods of my life together, once again.

Tomorrow I leave for Europe, for two conferences in England, followed by a trip to Turkey, landing in its Megacity, Istanbul, at a time there's considerable turmoil to see, encounter or avoid.  Should prove interesting.

June 11, 2013

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize (1964-65) we were attending the University of Idaho at the same time ..

    ReplyDelete