Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The India File


Passage to India
First, I spent almost two days in New Delhi, where I was treated to two days of city touring, including a delightful bicycle-rickshaw ride through the old city.  Then, I boarded the Palace on Wheels for a week -long passage through the country’s largest province, Rajasthan.   First stop was the Pink City, Jaipur, where we rode elephants up to the Amber Fort—an absolute delight. Film to follow.  Day Two: We visited a national park, tiger preserve, but saw only monkeys, deer and birds, later visiting a huge fort for a light and sound show.  Day Three took us to the Lake City, Udaipur, where we visited the site where some of the James Bond movie Octapussy was filmed; we dinned in the five-star hotel , followed by a boat ride on a lovely lake—I could spend a lot of time here.  Day four and a train ride later to Jaisalmer for its yellow sandstone fort (intriguing as lots of folks lived within the fort walls) was followed up by a camel ride on the sand dunes of Sam and then a cultural program at a hotel.  Day five, at Jodhpur, we visited the walled city and its grand palaces.  Day six took us to Agra for the Taj Mahal and Agra fort; I was here 40+ years ago but it looked far more impressive this time.  Day seven brought us back to Delhi and the end of the trip.  Breakfast was served in a common area at the end of each salon/cabin, with dinner in one of two dinning cars. Ah, the food.  Sampled everything.  And then there was the bar car, with very expensive but necessary wine and Kingfisher beer.  We were divided into three groups, and I ended up in a group which turned out to be most congenial. 

An Academic Passenger on a Train
First, the media.  Both the Times of India and Hindustani papers were available periodically on the train, and I saw local papers in the languages read on steps of houses.  The Hindustani newspaper mixes “classifieds” and news throughout, not a bad idea.  And I saw my best headline in a long time: “Five Wild Asses Drown in River.”  Of course, they were four-legged, not two legged, but it brought a smile to my face nonetheless.  There’s one television on the train, a large screen in the bar car, which generally had the BBC news running, though an Australian fellow switched to CNN when I stopped by for a little change---it’s Dish TV, same as I have at home.  So far, I’ve managed to see little more than a few minutes of the news, since we mostly “talk” in the bar car. 

Since access to the Internet costs $4 per hour and is accomplished through a dial up, I used it only once, to get a hotel room at the end of the trip.  It was frustrating because I kept getting kicked off.  Wish I could say I missed email, but it was rather pleasant to avoid messages.  I did check in briefly and the number of screens was daunting and took two hours to run through and clean out when I got back to Delhi.  I saw Internet “cafes” at almost all our stops but didn’t have time to visit any of them given our minimal free time off the train.   
Finally, at a luxury hotel in Jaipur, I spotted my first person playing a game on a cell phone, and he was a blond-headed “foreigner” probably about 11 or 12 year old.  Also saw two folks pull out iPads in the bar car one afternoon and the Australian couple in my saloon texted their son in Australia a couple times, so technology isn’t missing, just not very visible.   A couple folks on the train have laptops but there’s minimal tech use, except for an occasional cell phone used to reach someone elsewhere in Asia.

From the beginning, we were divided into “colors,” groups which would share the same guides, the same bus to sites and the same schedule for dinner.  I was in the blue group.  A British fellow said it reminded him of his school days, where students were assigned similarly through their entire tenure at school.   I can’t think of a parallel we follow, but it effectively led to quick “bonding.”  I kept thinking of the ol’ small group literature, but could only reference the “instrumental” group formation lit.  Our small group of 24 or so folks included people from Uruguay, Canada, Thailand, Argentina, several people from Australia and Great Britain, and one couple from Pennsylvania + me.  We found some of the “other” folks less friendly and engaging, but those I chatted with in our group were most accommodating.  We shared and debated a couple stereotypes, considered how the use of different English may have led to misimpressions, and marveled at our “common” media culture (e.g., film stars).  I can’t say we spent much time on “jobs” in discussions, but with questions I discovered we included several retirees in their early 60s or late 50s and a number of 30-somethings: an anesthesiologist from Wales, married to a nurse, a practicing physician from Pennsylvania, also married to a nurse, an IT fellow and his wife –both working for a bank and celebrating their 10th wedding anniversary, a retired British businessman from Phillips and his wife, a horse trainer, a Sikk Indian importer-exporter (with considerable wealth) living in Bangkok, a retired electrician and his wife from the Australian “outback,” and an Indian lady born in Fiji and her daughter, living in Australia.  Virtually everybody was well traveled, and another Australian couple close to my age had been almost everywhere in the world and seemed to travel more than they stayed home, he beginning life in Austria/Germany and she spending her childhood in New Guinea.  As a result, we had some delightful conversations where travel was the common theme.  One of the other groups included two American families, each with children under age 10.  I asked the older girl what she liked the most on the trip and she said “the food.”  The little boys seemed to enjoy playing in the sand, regardless of where they were.  A separate group with National Geographic was on its own most of the time.  And so we passed the days in India.  If I’m successful, I’ll try to post a couple photos from each city on the tour.

Next stop is Cambodia, and I’ll try to shorten the comments, as I’ve been warned.

....but first, a video welcome like we received....

No comments:

Post a Comment